8 mar 2018

Home Improvements

Our house was built back in the late 80’s,
We’ve been delaying it’s renovation for too long, but at the begining of 2017 we realized it was a must.

Upstairs and downstairs, floor level humidity in the walls  and in the roof too, an out of order bathroom, kitchen to be completly replaced, 80’s technology in plumbing and electricall instalations also demanded to be replaced.

In February 2017, the contractor came home. Along with him, a bricklayer, a plumber, an electrician, a painter and a carpenter. They all took their respective measures and contractor told us: “I want to be honest from the beginning,  it’s gonna take me 2 or 3 months to prepare a previous budget of the whole works. And several more months for you to wait ‘till we’re able to start off.”

He sent us the previous budget at the end of July. Wife and I ckecked it out and we agreed it was OK. We accepted it. “I believe that, more or less, we can start off with the job in January 2018” he told us “but right now I can’t tell you exactly when”
“Can I give you a ring in…let’s say....November and perhaps you know better then?”. He agreed and that was what I did.

The works started off last January 9th. The same day the girl flew back to University after having Xtmas with us.

We had to move to my parent’s tiny cottage in the country and we are living up here since.

It has been very cold these two months and for the first time in our entire lives we have had to put money on heating.

I expect to be back home by the end of March altough I’m not sure.

Carpinter and painter will finish next week, then the plumber and all will be over but….it is gonna take me a whole week to bring back home everything that we took away, books, records, CDs, Pictures, PCs, mirrors, paintings, instruments, clothes, home appliances, furniture……..

The thing is that…………I’m absolutely happy living under this rural environment, I mean, I would not mind staying here, even when it’s a 35 minutes drive to work, very far from the 10 minutes drive from my house in town.

I don’t know……let’s see how it ends.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Moto